Portfolio careerist Carmen Chamorro on the benefits of working in different fields, managing multiple interests, and how recognizing a potential Renaissance-like profile might positively influence your career.
Carmen loves change and disagrees that we must define ourselves in only one single and exclusive way.
She is a natural learner and can draw on a wide range of commercial, educational and voluntary experiences that allow her to connect with different clients in personalized ways.
Carmen is a certified life, business and career coach that draws on two years of university study in psychology, as well as various courses in mindfulness. Currently, she also collaborates with Global Experiences, a global network providing international internships, as the Global Engagement Coordinator.
She understands the challenges of career change, having studied a degree in Architecture at the University of Granada in Spain followed by 8 years at Fosters and Partners. She has also worked in many other areas: event organizer, blogger, graphic designer, teacher, waitress, PR, strawberry picker, media runner, writer, sales…
She loves supporting entrepreneurship, having started up her own events company in 2014 that she has been running since.
Carmen's biggest passion is to help people connect with themselves and to guide them while they create, develop and implement new ideas and career paths.
A Spanish native, who has lived in 4 different countries, holds 2 passports and has extensively travelled the world, she loves learning about new places and cultures and strongly believes that traveling is an extraordinary tool for self-connection.
Connect with Carmen on LinkedIn.
Trust your nature. Be you. Don't be scared. We are all needed and we are all here. There is a balance in the world. We just need to go to the right place of the puzzle. You are here with a profile, and you are here to use it and to be authentic. Trust yourself, accept yourself, and have fun.
- Headspace (meditation app)
- My Learning Quarantine
- My Analog Parties
- The School of Life
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Global Experiences
- Pomodoro technique
- Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett
- Why Some of Us Don't Have One True Calling by Emilie Wapnick
- Are You A Giver or A Taker by Adam Grant
- Designing Your Life
- A Job to Love by The School of Life
- The Emotionally Intelligent Office by The School of Life
- How to Be Everything by Emilie Wapnick
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- 00:00 · Intro
- 01:59 · Carmen
- 09:58 · A new starting point
- 12:24 · Fear of not changing
- 13:55 · The Renaissance profile
- 14:57 · When should we just do one thing?
- 15:42 · Multipotentialites
- 19:17 · Techniques to manage multiple activities
- 20:09 · Pomodoro technique
- 20:49 · Deep work and productive meditation
- 23:29 · Placing problems in your mind
- 26:44 · What distracts you?
- 27:37 · From the office to remote work
- 28:22 · When are you most productive?
- 29:01 · When do you get your best ideas?
- 29:22 · Work life balance
- 31:54 · Life coaching
- 33:47 · The Myers & Briggs test: 16-personalities
- 35:19 · Success
- 36:58 · Role models
- 39:27 · Be you
- 40:45 · Deliberate practice
- 41:34 · Distractions
- 41:55 · Mindful technology
- 44:35 · Portfolio career profiles in COVID
- 45:24 · Routines
- 46:45 · Meditation
- 47:13 · Is your life simple?
- 48:22 · Your mission
- 49:00 · Habits
- 49:19 · Hobbies
- 50:01 · Side projects
- 50:43 · Books, talks, and podcasts
- 52:38 · Connect with Carmen
- 53:27 · 'You have a portfolio career.'
- 54:39 · Outro
I'd love to hear from you.
Submit a question about this or any previous episodes.
Join the Discord community. Meet other curious minds.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.
Theme and exit songs, Sleep and A Loop to Kill For, by Steve Combs under CC BY 4.0. Algorithms by Chad Crouch.