Craig Long on how life is in the moments you didn't expect, quieting your inner intensity, helping others achieve complex goals when they don't know where to start, remote working, and disconnecting from technology.
Craig grew up in the mountains of Wyoming wanting to be an architect, and studied architectural engineering with an emphasis in mathematics at University of Kansas. He currently works at Autodesk, Boston, developing software for other designers that — like he did for several years at Zahner — heavily rely on computers to build intricate designs.
After knowing Craig for a few years, I couldn't agree more with Kevin Rooney's description: "Craig is the mentalist. He can tear apart a problem to its root core to reveal the best opportunities. He can move easily between general ideas to technical execution in order to make [things] happen. He is also an incredibly kind person."
Connect with Craig at (@craigalanlong).
- "Life isn't always a deterministic process you know ahead of time."
- "[Listening to podcasts on my commute] became this empowering and centering force."
- "Part of growing up and growing older is learning that life is in the moments and things that you didn't expect."
- "If I looked at the logistics and analytics of how often I pick up my phone there would probably be very disconcerting information. So that's what I'm trying to be. More attentive [and] intentional about turning off those those stimuli and being more present."
- "Find what you love and do it to the best of your abilities."
- Experience Music Project by Frank Gehry
- Guggenheim Museum Bilbao by Frank Gehry
- Stata Center by Frank Gehry
- De Young Museum by Herzog & de Meuron and Fong + Chan
- .NET Rocks podcast by Carl Franklin and Richard Campbell
- This American Life by WBEZ
- Radiolab by WNYC Studios
- Google Earth
- Snowcrash by Neal Stevenson
- Alto's Adventure
- 00:00 · Intro
- 00:53 · Craig Long
- 05:24 · The plan
- 08:44 · Challenges
- 12:03 · Starting a project
- 16:09 · Manual vs. automated
- 17:38 · The fun moments
- 20:48 · Zahner
- 28:16 · The last man
- 33:23 · ShopFloor
- 36:20 · Things you miss
- 42:57 · Commute
- 50:02 · Remote working
- 54:55 · Helping others
- 57:04 · Yourself
- 58:08 · Creativity
- 59:39 · Your best ideas
- 01:01:17 · Disconnection
- 01:02:42 · Email
- 01:04:09 · Flow
- 01:06:14 · Habits
- 01:08:37 · Finding what you like
- 01:09:59 · Digital workflows
- 01:12:50 · Work-in-progress
- 01:14:48 · Clutter
- 01:20:51 · A comfortable user interface
- 01:21:48 · Simple & intuitive
- 01:22:46 · Success
- 01:26:12 · One sentence to the world
I'd love to hear from you.
Submit a question about this or any previous episodes.
Join the Discord community. Meet other curious minds.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.