Illusionist Héctor Ruiz on getting started and standing out as a magician, how COVID-19 changed his world, his take on talent, effort, creativity, success, and entrepreneurship, and more.
Héctor Ruiz is an illusionist from Spain that performs over the planet with his show amazing and amusing audiences. In the last years, Hector has performed at some of the most important TV shows in his field at the largest cruise ships in the world and has toured with big international magic productions. He is looking forward to having you in the audience to show you his unique touch to the art of illusion.
- "I'm still that kid being entertained, watching magic videos and stuff I have never stopped being that kid. And I think it's going to work as long as I remain being that kid."
- "[When] I went from Isla Mágica to cruise ships, I got bankrupt. I went into the biggest hole of my life, and that was the best thing that could ever happen to me."
- "For the past 20 plus years, I've never been without performing for more than a couple of weeks and suddenly, I encountered myself being offstage for over a year, which is crazy!"
- Hector Ruiz Show
- Hector's shop
- Pajaro Flama
- Mr Hocus cool stuff for magic lovers by Hector
- Isla Mágica
- The Illusionists Live From Broadway
- Chinese Linking Rings
- Intro. [0:00]
- How did you get started with magic? [0:59]
- How did you become a professional magician? [2:21]
- What was your show like at Isla Mágica? [3:50]
- What is unique about theme park shows? [5:05]
- How has your show's length changed over time? [5:54]
- How do you learn magic? [6:40]
- What kind of shows were you doing outside of Isla Mágica? [7:54]
- How do you stand out as a magician? [9:52]
- Does the community have a system for tracking who owns which tricks? [11:45]
- Do you have a mission you have set for yourself/your act? [13:26]
- What was your lifestyle like before COVID? [14:47]
- Society doesn't understand entertainers. [21:34]
- What do you think your talent is? [22:32]
- What things require an effort from you? [25:02]
- How was it to learn more languages? [26:53]
- How do you understand creativity? [28:22]
- What would be the easiest way to see one of your shows? [33:02]
- How has COVID-19 changed things for you? [33:37]
- How many planes did you used to get regularly? [35:29]
- What's going to be different now? [36:36]
- Where can people find you online? [38:29]
- What did you do in the year you couldn't do shows? [39:07]
- Can you tell us about the business you started during the pandemic? [41:01]
- How did your day to day look like before COVID? [43:01]
- How do you disconnect? [44:07]
- Is there anything specific about how you manage your time? [45:16]
- Do you do any type of meditation? [47:03]
- Do you think solitude plays an important part in your life? [47:46]
- Being online can have a negative impact on productivity. [49:33]
- How would you define success? [50:25]
- Who do you see as successful? [51:05]
- Has any recent purchase under $100 had a positive impact in your life? [52:36]
- What books do you recommend to people who want to get into magic? [52:58]
- What do you think of guessing/explaining the tricks? [54:12]
- Can we see you perform a card trick? [54:48]
- Do you have any other message for the audience? [56:18]
- Closing thoughts. [58:47]
- 0:00 · Intro
- 0:59 · Magic
- 13:26 · Being an entertainer
- 21:34 · Talent, effort, and creativity
- 33:37 · A year on pause
- 43:01 · Lifestyle and time management
- 47:46 · Solitude and productivity
- 50:25 · Success
- 52:36 · A deck of cards
- 54:12 · Magic trick
- 56:18 · A message
- 58:47 · Closing thoughts
I'd love to hear from you.
Submit a question about this or any previous episodes.
Join the Discord community. Meet other curious minds.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.