Jordan Gray on creative friction, the fine line between passion projects and work, storytelling in design, and overcoming the beginner feeling.
Jordan Gray works as a Visualization Specialist at Hanbury.
Architecture and design always have a narrative—an evocative, deeper meaning. From napkin sketches, to drawing sets, to post-construction marketing, each medium for client communication is key to architectural storytelling. I've always had a passion for the visualization toolset, recognizing how renderings, photography, and filmmaking go hand-in-hand with the design process. It's my proverb to practice openness to new methods when there's a better way. Always explore; always collaborate.
- Gray Collab - Jordan’s renderings, photography, and film. Started while freelancing.
- Jordan on Vimeo
- Carolina Day School — Asheville, NC by Jordan Gray
- Kappa Achievement Park: A Place to Belong by Jordan Gray
- Unreal Engine
- Lumion & VRay
- Rhino & Grasshopper 3D
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) & Revit
- Google Books Ngram Viewer
- Austin Kleon: Pencil vs. Computer on Hurry Slowly
- Less But Better by Dieter Rams
- Faculty Department Volume 1 by Justin Chung
- The Photography Storytelling Workshop by Finn Beales
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
- You Can’t Make This Stuff Up by Lee Gutkind
- 168 Hours by Laura Vanderkam
- 00:00 · Intro
- 01:25 · Photography
- 02:54 · Lack of time
- 06:42 · Deliberate practice
- 11:42 · Skill transferability
- 18:21 · Maintaining growth and creativity
- 32:13 · Friction
- 35:19 · Passion & work
- 38:43 · Gratification, fulfillment, and satisfaction
- 44:27 · Storytelling
- 48:17 · The human experience
- 51:58 · Deep rebranding
- 58:34 · Making people feel something
- 01:00:59 · Personal branding
- 01:03:23 · Making others seek you out
- 01:05:45 · The podium
- 01:09:14 · The chaos of taking pictures
- 01:13:20 · Overthinking and overdoing
- 01:14:34 · Will people notice the details?
- 01:17:23 · Capturing creative moments
- 01:21:03 · Daily routines to be happier and productive
- 01:22:45 · Books
- 01:24:59 · A message to the world
- 01:27:05 · Enjoying the process of grinding the beans
- 01:34:39 · Designing versus clicking
- 01:37:08 · Simplicity
- 01:42:15 · Learnings on simplicity from making this podcast?
- 01:46:28 · Connect with Jordan
- 01:50:53 · Outro
Submit a question about this or previous episodes. I'd love to hear from you.
Join the Discord community. Meet other curious minds.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.