Julia Hayden talks about how our actions affect the planet, ways to fight our throw-away society and minimize waste, her love for tiny houses, and a lot more.
Self-defined environmental activist, Julia believes her studies at Connecticut College in Environmental Studies and Botany made the ways in which her actions affect the planet be present in her daily life.
She is conscious of the lifecycle of everything she consumes (from production to landfill) and emphasizes the power of communities to give away, lend, share, and repair what breaks to minimize waste.
Julia dreams of living in a tiny house, and believes in the use of community spaces and public parks as a way to take up less space in the city.
- Buy Nothing are Facebook groups that intend for people to avoid buying new things and be wasteful throwing things away.
- Free Craigslist is a directory to browse what people around your area are giving away for free. The famous curb alert refers to people leaving free stuff on the street to be claimed on a first come, first served basis.
- Queer Exchange Boston is "[a Facebook] group for Boston queers (interpret “queer” however you’d like) to connect with one another. It is intended to be a space for buying/selling/bartering/gifting, service recommendations, and a place to organize socially."
- The tiny house movement is a description for the architectural and social movement that advocates living simply in small homes. According to The Tiny Life, "the typical American home is around 2,600 square feet, whereas the typical small or tiny house is between 100 and 400 square feet. Tiny houses come in all shapes, sizes, and forms, but they enable simpler living in a smaller, more efficient space."
- Getaway is a startup that offers simple escapes to tiny, beautifully crafted cabins in nature, in spots spread around New Hampshire, Virginia, and New York. In their own words, their experience is built for "taking the time to rest and unplug from the daily hustle and to focus on ourselves, our relationships and the wonder of nature."
- Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart.
- Maps is the navigation app by Apple.
Submit your questions and I'll try to answer them in future episodes. I'd love to hear from you.
Join us on Discord and introduce yourself to the community.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.
Theme song Sleep by Steve Combs under CC BY 4.0.