Modelical's Roberto Molinos on the benefits of being patient and embracing uncertainty, a series of techniques, theories, and books that can help you rethink your company and market your products, and his 4-day workweek.
Roberto Molinos is an architect and holds a Master of Advanced Studies in Structural Design from Madrid Tech - Madrid (ES). He has developed undergraduate and graduate research with Rafael Escolá Foundation and POLE Europe program, completing essays on the use of information technologies in multidisciplinary projects.
Roberto is the Managing Director of Modelical, a technology consultancy working at the intersection of design, engineering and computation with an extensive experience in complex projects across the globe. He also leads the BuiltTech program on digital transformation for the AEC industry at IE School of Architecture and Design - Madrid and is the co-director of Algomad, a workshop that seeks to spread the use of computational tools among the Spanish-speaking community.
The strong bias toward believing that small samples closely resemble the population from which they are drawn is also part of a larger story: we are prone to exaggerate the consistency and coherence of what we see. —Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow
- High Output Management by Andrew Grove
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Taleb
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Scarcity: The New Science of Having Less and How it Defines Our Lives by Eldar Shafir and Sendhil Mullainathan
- Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool by Emily Oster
- "Your company is your first product."
- "[Those] who can price the products properly [are] magicians."
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Salesforce, SugarCRM, Contactually, Pipedrive (CRMs)
- Basecamp & 37signals
- Case Inc & WeWork
- Cal Newport
- Jason Fried & David Heinemeier Hansson (the Basecamp guys)
- Sarai Zabala (Modelical)
- Andrés De Mesa Gisbert
- Teaser. [0:00]
- Intro. [2:12]
- Roberto Molinos. [2:29]
- Career contribution. [3:28]
- Modelical is good at selling Modelical. [5:06]
- Your company is your first product. [7:29]
- The playground. [9:51]
- Techniques to market and develop products. [11:58]
- Engaging the client late. [13:55]
- The importance of pricing your services. [16:15]
- How do sales happen? [18:18]
- CRMs. [21:06]
- Best format to distribute content and attract clients. [22:54]
- How do clients find you? [24:56]
- Missing on potential projects. [25:43]
- How is COVID affecting Modelical? [27:05]
- Promoting yourself. [28:18]
- Books to rethink your company. [30:30]
- High output management. [30:51]
- Don't worry about what you cannot predict. [31:32]
- Preparing for failure. [33:59]
- Save as much as possible. [36:01]
- A definition of antifragility. [36:49]
- Robustness or antifragility? [38:11]
- Books that influenced your decision-making process. [40:36]
- Consistency tradeoffs. [42:29]
- Consistency and automation. [44:26]
- Buying peace of mind. [46:17]
- How should we use the time we save? [50:44]
- Effectiveness. [52:21]
- The four-day workweek. [53:22]
- What will change after having kids? [56:23]
- The time blocking planning method. [57:15]
- Best ideas and creative moments. [59:53]
- More than thirty employees. [1:01:11]
- From 3 to 10 employees. [1:03:00]
- Do you consider your life simple? [1:05:12]
- Daily habits. [1:06:32]
- Work-life balance. [1:07:44]
- Success. [1:09:13]
- Role models. [1:11:42]
- Your message to the world. [1:17:08]
- What gives you goosebumps? [1:17:30]
- How was Modelical's first office? [1:18:35]
- Data-driven parenting. [1:19:34]
- Patience. [1:21:28]
- Connect with Roberto. [1:25:46]
- Outro. [1:25:57]
Submit a question about this or previous episodes. I'd love to hear from you.
Join the Discord community. Meet other curious minds.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.
Theme song Sleep by Steve Combs under CC BY 4.0.