Insisting Simplicity's author, JR, on crafting your own routine from scratch, writing, blogging, frugal practices to achieve financial independence, permaculture design, the struggles of making a living as an artist, and more.
Insisting Simplicity is a blog about simple living, minimalism, and adventure travel that JR writes to celebrate life, our planet, and the richness of simple living.
"I'm obviously attracted to the concept of simple living and to a stoic aesthetic and something that is boiled down to the really fundamental things in life that matter."
"You don't necessarily need cars and mansions and consumerism to do any of those things."
- Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE movement)
- Permaculture design
- Calm (meditation app)
- Waking Up by Sam Harris (meditation app)
- Making Sense by Sam Harris (podcast)
- Workin' Out Back with Poppy Insisting Simplicity series
- The Biggest Little Farm (movie)
- Peak oil
- The Trinity Study and the 4 percent rule
- 10,000-Hour Rule popularized in Outliers by Malcolm Gladwel
- 11 Reasons Not to Become Famous by Tim Ferriss
- Tenth Acre Farm
- Practical Self-Reliance
- Designing Your Life by Bill Bernett & Dave Evans
- The Frugal Engineers
- Designing Your Life (with Insisting Simplicity) (essay)
- Waking Up by Sam Harris
- Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin
- Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley & William Danko
- The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka
- Permaculture: Principles and Pathways beyond Sustainability by David Holmgren
- Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- Retrosuburbia by David Holmgren
- Henry David Thoreau
- Walt Whitman
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Bill Mollison
- David Holmgren
- Masanobu Fukuoka
- Sepp Holzer
- Joel Slayton
- Kurt Vonnegut
- John Maeda
- John Muir
- Carmen Chamorro
- Mr. Money Mustache
- Mad Fientist
- Dan Harris
- Sam Harris
- Tim Ferriss
- Seth Godin
- Intro. [1:11]
- JR [2:16]
- How did you start the blog? [3:03]
- Writing. [5:22]
- A secret identity. [6:51]
- Insisting Simplicity. [9:22]
- Generalist or specialist? [10:58]
- The 10,000-Hour rule. [14:07]
- Integrity. [20:31]
- A new routine. [21:38]
- Life cycles. [24:35]
- Permaculture design. [26:23]
- Financial independence. [34:06]
- Frugal practices. [41:02]
- The struggles of making a living as an artist. [58:24]
- Who should spread your idea? [1:05:28]
- JR's daily routine. [1:09:37]
- Meditation. [1:11:54]
- How did you come across Getting Simple? [1:14:17]
- What's next for you? [1:15:57]
- Connect with JR. [1:18:06]
- Define success. [1:18:31]
- Role models. [1:18:37]
- Book recommendations. [1:19:22]
- A recent positive purchase of $100 or less. [1:20:19]
- What helped you write better? [1:20:55]
I'd love to hear from you.
Submit a question about this or any previous episodes.
Join the Discord community. Meet other curious minds.
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? It takes less than 60 seconds and really helps.
When you buy through links on Getting Simple, I may earn an affiliate commission.
Theme and exit songs, Sleep and A Loop to Kill For, by Steve Combs under CC BY 4.0. Algorithms by Chad Crouch.